Museums and Exhibitions 

Franz Schubert Museum, Hohenems

Established in Hohenems in May 2011, the Franz Schubert Museum traces the great Viennese composer’s life and work in rooms that were built shortly before his birth. Apart from discovering Schubert’s music in the listening room, visitors are invited to take a stroll in the garden, which offers impressive views of the historical town centre, or adjourn to a quiet spot with a book from the library.

The museum is located in a former vicarage, whose foundations date back to the beginning of the 16th century and may thus count as the oldest remaining building structures in Hohenems’ town centre. Almost entirely destroyed in the 1777 fire, the house was rebuilt two years later in late baroque style, the salon on the first floor being enriched with a remarkable stuccoed ceiling.

According to the style at that time, the vicarage underwent several constructional modifications around 1900, which have partly been taken back in the course of its restoration and use as a museum. Most importantly, on the 2nd floor, the original wood boarding has been laid open and the 18th century double door, which survived as isolation material in the attic, retrieved its former place opening to the salon.

 

Opening hours 2018

The Schubertiade's museums will be open during the concert periods in Hohenems and Schwarzenberg. Detailed opening hours tba.

On appointment, we are happy to open the museums for groups and individuals outside the regular opening hours.

 

Admission fees

€ 7 (€ 3,50 for pupils, students and apprentices)
Ticket owners are entitled to visit all museums as often as they wish for a whole year after ticket purchase.

 

Address

Marktstraße 1
6845 Hohenems, Austria

Franz Schubert Museum
Franz Schubert Museum
Schubert portrait by Wilhelm August Rieder, 1825
Schubert portrait by Wilhelm August Rieder, 1825
The salon on the second floor
The salon on the second floor
Schubert portrait by Leopold Kupelwieser, 1821
Schubert portrait by Leopold Kupelwieser, 1821