Richard Wagner (copper plate printing after F. Hanfstaengel)
Paul Richter as Siegfried in Fritz Lang's »Die Nibelungen« (1924)
Lilli Lehmann (steel engraving by Weger)
Götterdämmerung, final scene (stage design)
Franz Nachbaur (undesignated heliogravure)
Nibelungen Museum, Hohenems
The rediscovery of the Nibelungenlied’s C and A manuscripts at Hohenems Palace in 1755 and 1779, respectively, marked the starting point of its renaissance and rapid establishment as the German national epic. Eventually, Richard Wagner led the story about the dragon slayer Siegfried to worldwide fame by means of his four-part music drama Der Ring des Nibelungen. Wagner’s magnum opus stands at the centre of the small museum, which also informs about other realizations of the Nibelungen theme on the stage and in film. Special attention is paid to two artists: Lilli Lehmann, the most famous soprano of the 19th century, and Franz Nachbaur, a sought-after opera tenor from the Lake Constance region, who was Stolzing in the world premiere of Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. The building at Marktstraße 6 once housed Vorarlberg’s first printing shop, where the Emser Chronik (the first book ever printed in Vorarlberg and a famous classic of its time) was produced in 1616.
Opening hours 2020
The museums will be open during the 2020 Schubertiade in Schwarzenberg and Hohenems. The detailed opening hours will be announced in due course.
On appointment (to be made on the previous work day, at the latest), we are happy to open the museums for groups and individuals outside the regular opening hours.
€ 7 (€ 3,50 for pupils, students and apprentices)
Ticket owners are entitled to visit all museums as often as they wish for a whole year after ticket purchase.
»Nicht die Quantität des Angebots macht die Schubertiade in ihrer Einmaligkeit aus, sondern die Akkumulation und Vielfalt von Qualität.«
Wiener Zeitung, Austria