Museums and Exhibitions 

Nibelungen Museum, Hohenems

The rediscovery of the Nibelungenlied’s C and A manuscripts at Hohenems Palace in 1755 and 1779, respectively, marked the starting point of its renaissance and rapid establishment as the German national epic. Eventually, Richard Wagner led the story about the dragon slayer Siegfried to worldwide fame by means of his four-part music drama Der Ring des Nibelungen. Wagner’s magnum opus stands at the centre of the small museum, which also informs about other realizations of the Nibelungen theme on the stage and in film. Special attention is paid to two artists: Lilli Lehmann, the most famous soprano of the 19th century, and Franz Nachbaur, a sought-after opera tenor from the Lake Constance region, who was Stolzing in the world premiere of Wagner’s Meistersinger. The building at Marktstraße 6 once housed Vorarlberg’s first printing shop, where the »Emser Chronik« (the first book ever printed in Vorarlberg and a famous classic of its time) was produced in 1616.

 

Opening hours 2018

The Schubertiade's museums will be open during the concert periods in Hohenems and Schwarzenberg. Detailed opening hours tba.

On appointment, we are happy to open the museums for groups and individuals outside the regular opening hours.

 

Admission fees

€ 7 (€ 3,50 for pupils, students and apprentices)
Ticket owners are entitled to visit all museums as often as they wish for a whole year after ticket purchase.

 

Address

Marktstraße 6
6845 Hohenems, Austria

Exhibition at the Nibelungen Museum
Exhibition at the Nibelungen Museum
Lilli Lehmann. Steel engraving by Weger after a photograph
Lilli Lehmann. Steel engraving by Weger after a photograph
Richard Wagner. Chalcography after a photo by F. Hanfstaengel
Richard Wagner. Chalcography after a photo by F. Hanfstaengel
Götterdämmerung, photogravure by Ferdinande Leeke
Götterdämmerung, photogravure by Ferdinande Leeke